Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Anti-Fast Food in France

I really enjoyed the angle that this writer took with his piece, concentrating not only on the changes in French food culture, but also the business side of things. I really loved the content of the piece.

It reminded me strongly of an article I read a little while back, which I think I originally spotted in the Economist.

http://www.latimes.com/features/lifestyle/la-et-pinkberryaug04,0,7985455.story?coll=la-home-style

It's about pinkberry, some trendy place that has become a small chain in the LA area. They have a simple, fresh menu and it seems to be booming.

I wish that the piece would have got more into depth as to what the resturant offered, including the menu, service, and prices. however, the aim throughout seemed to concentrate more about the trend of fresh and healthy food rather than the individual resturants serving it.

I personally found it very refreshing that a young entrepreneur can still have an idea, get a loan, and start a successfull small business. I think that small went a far way to show the attitude of the new fast food restaurants and why they seem to be successful over the stuffy, older resturants.

Overall the piece flowed well and I didn't want to stop half way. However, I noticed myself struggling at times to follow the story of Cojean, as it jumped around a little bit.

3 comments:

Lickel Wood said...

I can see how I would have liked more on the menu, services and prices, as I believed there was quite a bit of information on the actual establishment, with less of a profile on Cojean. I would have liked to see more on the profile of Cojean, as more anecdotes and direct quotes would have provided for an even more interesting read.

KCarsok said...

If you know any French, you can read the menu at:

http://www.cojean.fr/

Its very "modern" and the background music has birds chirping and water drops and other sounds of nature. The food sounds good to me from the little french I know.

Prices are high for fast food but probably reasonable for healthy, trendy food in Paris. A chicken curry wrap or parmesean ham baguette is about 5 euro.

ok now I'm just procrastinating...

virginie said...

I agree with you Reid the piece flowed well and I like the fact that we follow the process of creating a new restaurant chain. We go from the idea to the success of its concretization...really interesting. And sincerely, I'd like to see it in France...French are fond of yogurts :)