Monday, May 7, 2007

"Barbeback Mountain"

Wow, what a mess.

I think the subject matter here is quite intriguing and the writer definately has some talent. The piece had great speed to it, read quickly, and easily kept the reader entertained.

I guess I just don't quite understand what the goal of the piece is. After reading the piece, I was left thinking "wow, that writer really is bitter." The subject matter was of little relevance, as the reader is constantly reminded of the author's negative attitude. It really is an odd medley of subjects, which seem to conclude the author's general dislike for everything and anything.

I think that sometimes poking fun and relying on sarcasm in a piece can work quite well, but this just seemed to go overboard. Instead of agreeing with or understanding the author and his opinionis, the tone of the piece has lead me to discredit much of what the author has said. Probably not the best way to go as a writer........

5 comments:

Lickel Wood said...

I agree this was a horrible mess, and I think a story can be a beautiful mess that is thought provoking and not just a one man shit storm. I believe it was Lindsey who commented that the piece would have benefited from more discussion on zoophilia connected to objectifying women. As much as I don't like Rush Limbaugh, this piece did not need the tangent, as it was overly distracting from what I thought to be the core issue mentioned above.

Caitlin said...

Reid~
Just a quick FYI: because of everyone’s comments, I have posted another piece which isn't so messy- if you wouldn’t mind reading that one if you have a chance. Thanks!
Caitlin

Lindsey M. Craig said...

I agree Reid and I agree with Lickel too! It was interesting to read such a mess though, shows you where journalism can go totally wrong. It isn't that often I stumble across an article like that. Definitely made me want to write a letter to the editor!

Dave Kelly said...

I definately agree with what has been said about this article. The entire time I was reading it, I was finding myself just getting upset with the author for the way he was writing his piece than, rather than actually reading the actual work. I didn't like the way he wrote and I thought the author was annoying.

Jenny said...

Good analysis, Reid. As I commented on Tammy's post, I really agree that this story was a mess. Its one good quality, that you pointed out, was its speed. It read quickly, and although I was left making connections between arguments, I was kept entertained the entire time.

At the end of the piece, I didn't really like the writer. The entire thing seemed like a rant, and I spent a few minutes questioning the accuracy of many of the statements the writer made.

If the theme of reviewing the documentary had been followed through, the piece might have had a lot more focus and a much more positive response. I'm glad we got an example of what not to do.